"If you have an apple, and I have an apple and we exchange apples then we both still have one apple. If you have an idea, and I have an idea and we exchange ideas then we both have two ideas." George Bernard Shaw

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Embrace Your True Self

Why is it that some people are afraid to be themselves?  Why are some afraid to let their true selves shine?  I myself sometimes struggle with being who I really am, but have learned to be comfortable in my own skin just as I am, though it usually takes a little time to adjust.  Often when I get into a new area or meet new people I am shy and don't let people see the real me.  However it has rarely turned out bad when I relax and be myself.

I personally am often worried about being thought of as weird and not fitting in with others.  I think that's the main reason that people are sometimes afraid to be themselves.  They have a fear of rejection.  We want people to like us, and so we do what we think they want us to do rather than we want to do.

The truth of the matter is that people like us best when we like ourselves best-when we are exactly who we are and not hiding beneath masks.  No matter how odd some of our characteristics may seem we can almost always find someone who is just like us, and those that aren't usually appreciate the differences that make us unique.

Not only are we happier when we don't hide from the world we are also more productive.  Whether its a quiet environment or one with lots of noise we all have our comfort zones.  In order to grow we sometimes have to go outside of our comfort zones, but we also need time inside our comfort zones.  I for one am fairly introverted and like quiet and calm to work in.  My best ideas usually come when I have no one to talk to but myself, often on walks.  Ideas will come to me when I am in loud groups as well, but they often develop fully when I have time to reflect by myself.

Whatever it is that you are, embrace it.  Don't be ashamed if you are different than most people.  You are the way you for a reason.  You have talents and abilities that no one else has-let them shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment