"If you have an apple, and I have an apple and we exchange apples then we both still have one apple. If you have an idea, and I have an idea and we exchange ideas then we both have two ideas." George Bernard Shaw

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Its Not a Perfect World. . .Yet

Occasionally when people complain about some injustice or something that should be better but isn't they are met with a response similar to "If this were a perfect world. . ."  It is implied that because the world is not perfect you just have to deal with some things.  I see it as an excuse rather than an explanation and really don't like it.

The world has problems yes, but that doesn't mean it has to be that way.  The world is what we make of it.  If we work towards making it better it will become better little by little.  If instead of saying "If this were a perfect world. . ." we said "There is something wrong so what can we do to fix it?" and then did that something how much better would the world be?

Some may call me an idealist, but I firmly believe that we can make the world as perfect as we want.  As a final thought let me share some words from George Bernard Shaw: "People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them."

Let me also share the last stanza of Invictus by William Ernest Henley:


I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Let us take our fate and that of the world into our own hands and begin to make a perfect world.



No comments:

Post a Comment