"If you have an apple, and I have an apple and we exchange apples then we both still have one apple. If you have an idea, and I have an idea and we exchange ideas then we both have two ideas." George Bernard Shaw

Monday, April 23, 2012

Following the Spirit

Recently I had an experience that taught me a very important lesson.  I was weeks away from being married, taking 18 credits at college and was under a lot of stress.  It caused me a lot of problems and I wasn't very happy like I should have been.  During a particularly difficult weekend I went home to visit family, and my mom took some time to talk to me about what I was going through.  She helped me realize something I had known for a long time but chosen not to admit-that I was not in a very good relationship and needed to change it.

My fiance had come to visit at Thanksgiving and at that time I had a feeling that maybe I should break up with her, but convinced myself that everything was ok and kept dating her.  Just before I went to visit her for Christmas (I proposed to her when I visited) I had another feeling that maybe this wasn't a good idea, but again convinced myself that everything was ok. 

As time went on things got worse until I came to the weekend during which my mom talked to me about my situation.  I finally admitted what I had felt and known for a long time and decided to break up with her.  It was hard, but we both knew it was the right thing to do.  Since that time I have felt like myself again, a feeling I hadn't had in while, and I felt peace.

You can call those feelings that I had a gut feeling, conscience, shoulder angel or whatever you want.  I call it the spirit and I firmly believe it is sent from God and that through that spirit He will direct us to paths that will make us most happy in life.  Whatever you call it I know that life works a lot better when we follow the spirit.

1 comment:

  1. I know I've said it a thousand times, but I'll say it a thousand more. I am so glad you are back to being you, that peace filled, happy, thoughtful person. Sometimes it takes courage to follow the Spirit, I am so glad you did! on

    ReplyDelete